Laparoscopic gastric banding surgery is done to help with weight reduction. The surgeon places a band near the upper part of your stomach to create a tiny pouch to collect the food. Eating small amounts of food can make you feel full due to the limit of the band. in other words this surgery is called weight loss surgery.
Post surgery, your doctor can make some changes to the band that make food pass more slowly or quickly through your stomach. Post surgery, weight loss is usually expected but steady. You will have to visit your doctor regularlily to check how you are doing. The doctor can make some tweeks to the band if you are not losing weight as expected or if you have problems with the band. Some people will loose weight for up to 3 years after surgery. Some people feel full just after having a few sips of water or other liquid. Other people won't feel much difference. It is key to consume water sip by sip regularly to avoid becoming dehydrated.
1. Substantial improvement in many health problems related to morbid obesity.
2. Adjustable: band can be adjusted to increase or decrease weight loss.
3. Reversible.3. Malnutrition complications rare.
4. Very little chance of dying from operation.
5. Weight loss averages 40 to 60 percent of excess body weight.
7. Short hospital stay usually less than 24 hours.
Weight-loss surgery is suitable for people who are put on weight heavily and who have not been able to lose weight with medicine, exercise, or diet.